I try to get everything posted by 4:00pm EST just to stay consistent but today was BUSY. Not in a bad way by any means, I just couldn’t pull myself out of my work for more than a few minutes until the day was over (I usually write on my lunch break). I still wanted to get it done both to stay consistent with it and because I said I would write three posts by the weekend. Anyway, hope you all had a great week and are looking forward to a restful Saturday and Sunday.
- YNAB – You Need a Budget is something that’s been kicking around my financial toolbox on and off for several years. I originally had the desktop version which has since been made obsolete by newer releases. It’s a different take on budgeting than other systems like Mint and Nerdwallet in that you only budget the money that you have currently. There is no projecting into the future. It takes some getting used to but in the long run I do a lot better with this mindset than with trying to budget money I don’t have yet.
- Duolingo – I’m on a 30 day streak with this app. It all started two years ago when I met a woman from Turkey and decided to impress her by learning her native language. We don’t speak anymore (as drunks often say) but recently I decided that since I’m already fairly deep into the language I might as well finish. Since then I’ve picked up Spanish, German, and French as well just for fun. Surprisingly I’m finding that I’m not getting the languages mixed up and am retaining quite a bit from day to day.
- Crime Partners by Donald Goines – Donald Goines was one of the bigger black authors of the 20th century who feverishly pumped out novels to support his heroin habit. He was tragically murdered in his 30’s by unknown assailants for unknown reasons. Part of the reason I read is to expose myself to foreign mindsets and ideas. As Goines’ books have influenced generations of black artists I simply had to read him eventually.
- 50/50 by Dean Karnazes – 50/50 is Karnazes’ recounting of his endeavor to run 50 marathons in 50 days in the early 2000’s (I always feel weird writing that because it kind of still is the early 2000’s). It’s packed full of advice and inspiration for runners, one of which I am hoping to officially become soon. It’s entertaining and informative but I am listening to the audiobook version on Scribd read by Karnazes himself and… let’s just say he probably wouldn’t make it as a voice actor.
- Life’s too Short to Go Fucking Slow by Susan Lacke – I read this one prior to 50/50 and absolutely loved it. Even cried in a few spots. It recounts the relationship between the author and her mentor (and boss) Dr. Carlos Nunez. She begins as an overweight, chain-smoking, alcoholic and over the course of the book transforms into a triathlete. I instantly related to her backstory although I don’t see myself ever running a triathlon.
- Praga Khan – Pragamatic (Remastered) – I’ve been on a retro kick lately, listening to music I was into in high school and shortly thereafter. Praga Khan is pure 90’s rave cheese and I love it. My top tracks are Remove the Armor and Injected with a Poison as I’m sure is the same for everyone else who has listened to the album.
- Clan of Xymox – Clan of Xymox – Late 70’s, early 80’s goth music has always been a favorite of mine. The ancient, garbage sounding synths combined with heavy bass guitar and vocals that sound like I feel just brings me to a great mental place. Clan of Xymox isn’t one of the more famous goth bands but among fans of the genre they are a staple.
No gadgets this week… opted to pay down some of my drunk-days debt instead! I’m going to make more of an effort to stick to the Monday, Wednesday, Friday schedule next week. See you then!